Tuesday 5 July 2011

Tuk-tuk drivers: Just what do they do?

The fact that I can actually describe all these goings on in such detail probably says a lot more about about my days but whatever.....

I am referring to the eight tuk-tuk drivers who reside at my guesthouse on a daily basis. They do not buy food nor do they buy drink. They just sit around scattered about on various walls, chairs, posts, anything really with a flat surface. You'll find them often watching a selection of very bad Chinese horror films subtitled in both Cambodian and English (just to make it extra confusing).

I wouldn't bat an eyelid but they don't even try to get business, sometimes when they are feeling energetic they may call out half heartedly "tuk tuk, lady?" to a passerby -sometimes not even a lady. When this fails to provoke a reaction they just turn back to the Telly. Classic.

I honestly have no clue how they make money. Also another thing, there are not nearly enough guests to warrant the eight drivers who base themselves here. 

One of them (god bless him) even gave me a free ride into town the other day. I just don't get it?!

No comments:

Post a Comment