Wednesday 27 July 2011

Let the teaching commence!

So I started at the orphanage! Yes, I have decided to volunteer my 'skills' to the less fortunate. This has definitely got to be my ticket to heaven! I should probably discuss it with the god I'm not sure of and see what he says but I reckon I'm in.

The children, as anticipated are all bouncing joys of energy and innocence. It always amazes me how children can deal far better with such major issues in life that adults would struggle to beat.

The death of parents due to Aids is the main reason that most children have arrived here at the orphanage.  Others are here because their parents simply cannot afford to care for them. I really can't imagine how either the parents or the children even begin to cope with such a helpless situation. They do though and they shine on.

On a brighter note, teaching English  is so much fun! I was extremely apprehensive at first but when you realize that there is nothing to prove and absolutely no one is judging anything you do, it becomes the biggest game.

The children are all so eager. I have two classes to teach, one is a kindergarten class so aside from their obvious hyperactive tendencies they are happy to sit and play 'guess the animal' and sing songs! (I cannot sing to save my life so as you can imagine this is a highly amusing exercise for them and slightly soul destroying for me.)

 My other lesson is a little more challenging as many of the children are older and already know the basics. This is my first time teaching and with no set guidelines, so I have been let loose to instill my wisdom....erm this is interesting and potentially hazardous. That reminds me, I really must stop swearing in front of them...

Anyway, not only is it a challenge to remember all 26 of their names, but to decide what to teach a group with such varied levels of English takes some doing! Luckily I am not alone and with the help of some of the great volunteers, I have picked up a few tips! Repetition seems to be the key, they definitely won't be forgetting the months of the year any time soon that's for sure.

I'm currently using a few ice breaking techniques too, man I used to hate them at school but these guys seem to love getting up and walking around asking questions. Nothing inappropriate as yet but I'm just waiting...

So far so good I reckon. I'll keep you posted. 

Is it ok to have favourites?

Laura xx



 

No comments:

Post a Comment