Monday 28 March 2011

Phi Phi is mental. Just that.

Koh Phi Phi! Now I had heard a lot about this little island for some time and in the end I decided it was worth a visit (above all to make my sister's boyfriend really bloody jealous).
It's maybe not the place to go if you are looking for a relaxed little getaway, mostly because it's mad as toast. You would be forgiven for thinking that this island could be the tranquil island of your dreams, particularly on first impressions when sailing up to the harbour. Step off the boat though and prepare to a) never sleep and b) do things that you probably wouldn't do if you weren't on Phi Phi.

Damn you Koh Phi Phi and your decieving beauty! Damn you!

Stepping off the boat I was greeted by a monkey in a dress. This should give you some idea of the magnitude of mental that this island exudes.

We were collected by a very nice man who took our bags on a little trailer thing and pulled them all the way up to our hostel. (I pretended not to see him struggling from the sheer weight of Rachel's bag alone.)
Our bungalow was along the 'Tsunami Escape Route' which was nice to know, although i'm not sure anyone would really escape a high speed wall of water coming at them but whatever. I guess there's some level of reassurance seeing the signs.

Phi Phi is a really good place to make friends and everyone is lovely. We met people here that we've stuck with for the last few weeks now. Days were spent sun bathing on Long Beach (the beach furthest away from the nightlife therefore in our minds the cleanest) and drinking copious amounts in the evening and eating our weight in Pad Thai. I fail to see what else you can do on this island. I fail to see what more you would want from this island to be honest!

We all know that with copious amounts of alcohol comes copious amounts of irrational thinking. We've all had that moment when it just seems like the best idea in the world, Phi Phi encourages this. That's why I take no responsibility for the following:

taking no responsibility.....it was Phi Phi
Yes Phi Phi made Rachel get a tattoo. A bamboo tattoo at that! http://www.bambootattoo.co.uk/history-of-bamboo-tattoo.php - here's a brief history. I can't be bothered to explain.


I don't even like cats?!
It also made me hold a cat in a somewhat 'loving' fashion. It must have been Phi Phi's influence though because I've not had the slightest inkling to risk my life like that again.

I'm sorry for taking ages to blog. Rachel has gone frolicking off to play with tigers today so I have a whole day of sorting out my life! Ahh organisation, how I have missed you!

Laura xx

1 comment: