Wednesday 2 March 2011

Bali and our search for the perfect beach.....

After a very busy week in Singapore, consisting mostly of running around embassies, booking hostels and sorting visas (we're wild!) we felt it was time to take a break from the madness of city life and find ourselves some pristine beaches to spend some days relaxing and obviously replenishing our vitamin D levels (healthy body, healthy mind people).

Our first destination was Kuta. We arrived in the early hours of Tuesday morning. After being accosted left, right and centre by a million hungry taxi drivers (they just come out of nowhere!) we found a 'reputable' and 'fairly priced' one and headed off to the hostel.

Now everyone knows that as a general rule places and people (it's true) all look better at night so with all the tiredness (impairing our vision) and sparkles and outlines of temples lining the streets we were in high spirits!

Wednesday 23rd February: 08:00. I thought I was dreaming at first but alas no, there was a massive drill doing its utmost to wake me from my much needed beauty sleep and ruin any sort of routine I was trying to implement into this travelling rigmarole. I am alright at dealing with such 'surprises' but hell hath no fury like a Rachel woken from her slumber....you don't mess with this woman!

We chose a hostel that was right in the centre of Kuta and two minutes from the beach. Convenient if it wasn't for the moped filled streets. You could never really seem to switch off and just walk (a common habit of mine) as you have to be so cautious of the unrelenting sea of traffic, they have no driving etiquette, the rules are pretty much 'find a space and drive'. Whole families squashed on to one bike. Cheaper form of transport though isn't it and needs must.

So I've just moaned this whole blog, but Kuta was quite frankly not what I was expecting! I guess I should get used to that and embrace it. (It's only going to get more extreme let's be honest!) I do understand why people come here though, especially Aussies I've found. It's definitely a surfers paradise and although Kuta beach is not astoundingly beautiful it seems clear that the reason people come here is for the waves, the unbelievably cheap prices and of course the night life. Unfortunately it turns out Rach and I might be getting a little bit old as mostly we just wanted to sit in a nice restaurant with a cold glass of wine, eating loads of weird stuff. (cringe at our sadness!)

So much more of Bali to see, I'll try and write more soon.....our search for the most beautiful beach in all of the land continues!

Ooh and we bought a guitar!! I can only play three chords and that's at a push so we'll see how that develops...or not.

Lots of Love, Laura x

No comments:

Post a Comment