Monday 4 July 2011

Poipet border crossing

I almost wasn't going to publish this as it's a pretty long ramble, but I deem it worthy to be shared so here we go....

It's all well and good getting from Cambodia to Thailand overland. $25 and you're across, free to frolic around Thailand eating all the Pad Thai you can handle. Coming back into Cambodia on the other hand is a whole different kettle of fish. (Kettle of fish: A great animal plural, part of a recent and extremely productive day researching them....I'll come back to that.)

Granted, I probably should have done more research on the Poipet border crossing but I didn't, so for me the next few hours proved the most valiant of my life. (A lucky read of The Lonely Planet Guide midway also helped. Thanks committed travel writers!)

Apparently it is common knowledge that at this particular crossing a few cheeky Cambodian's like to con unsuspecting tourists out of a few dollars by providing them with a 'fast track' route over the border with no queues and no bother.

Alarm bells started ringing when we were sat in a restaurant 2km from Poipet. Our guide spun his line and suggested for a problem free crossing that we hand over our passports and 1600 Baht.....hmm I am not one for parting with my passport so I politely declined, two other girls travelling with me had the right idea too. The others didn't. These people are idiots.

Five minutes later I was hurried onto a pretty dilapidated and overpacked mini bus along with the two other English girls who had decided to brave the border. I won't lie, I was in full panic mode at this point. The writing on the back of the seat in front of me did nothing to calm my nerves....'GET OFF THIS BUS NOW, DON'T TRUST THESE PEOPLE'. Nice.

I decided it was maybe time to consult the old Lonely Planet just in case it could shed any light on the current situation. Sure enough it came through! It described the journey to the very letter, next up they were to take us to a fake consulate to try and use their 'authority' to make us part with our money.
(Please note: I am on a budget and do not enjoy giving money up easily. Years of being on an economy drive lead by my mother stood me in good stead for this portion of my trip, thanks mum!)

The consulate looked like a normal house, actually less of a normal house and more of a shack. These were most definitely not official premises. We stood our ground as they attempted to coax us out of the mini bus with bottles of water and little cake things that admittedly if I was alone in my venture probably would have succumbed to.

They gave up after five minutes and admitted defeat. I think I actually saw the guy's soul die a little bit as he realised he had failed and three more people had stood their ground and made it across the border for 800 Baht, no queues and way ahead of the 'fast track'chumps.

LAURA - 1                 CAMBODIAN SCAMMERS - 0

No comments:

Post a Comment